Translate

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

10 Reasons Why Even Nerds Should Party...

Lame parties can still be fun...
Image credit: Basin Recreation
Welcome back my friendlies! Today, I have decided that since I recently attended a couple of parties I would do a quick blurb on how to maximize fun while minimizing stupidity when it comes to Halloween parties.

Go in costume. 

Trust me, at a Halloween party, there are benefits to being in costume. People will give you compliments and you can win prizes. So, unless you absolutely hate dressing up, go for it.

Go with people who actually want to be there/have a good time.

There's nothing worse than going to a party with people you don't like, except for maybe if you go to a party with people who you don't like and they don't want to be there. That usually ends up making you feel like crap, so find someone who wants to be there, even if they are just going to hang out with you or some of their other friends.

Eat beforehand, unless food is explicitly mentioned.

This is especially important if you have a food allergy. Parties are usually two to four hours long, and you will be hungry by the end of that if you don't eat. 

Don't do stupid things that will get you kicked out.

This includes...

Doing drugs:

Drugs should be considered a tall glass of nope when it comes to life in general, and if your flooding your body with toxic chemicals to have fun, then go do that somewhere where you won't come in contact with people who don't want to see you high. Better yet, JUST DON'T DO DRUGS.

Getting Drunk:

I don't drink. I'm underaged and getting drunk is just kind of stupid anyways, so don't come to a party drunk or get drunk while at the party because you most likely will be caught, or you will cause yourself serious issues. Again, JUST DON'T DO IT. Skip the beer, stick to soda instead.

Dirty Dancing:

As far as I know, none of you are John Travolta, so this one shouldn't be an issue.

My point is, just use common sense, and don't make yourself the jackass that ruins the whole party for everyone.

Don't be afraid to dance.

The whole point of dancing (unless you are a dancer) is to let yourself relax IN SPITE  of the fact that you look ridiculous. I know that I look pretty strange when I dance (I'm all hips and shoulders, due to my belly-dancing background (and I'm not joking about that at all)), but I still have fun and get into the rhythm of the crappy EDM music that most parties play. The point is to move and let your body pump your brain full of happy juices.

Don't be afraid to take breaks.

Like I said before, parties usually go on for hours and hours. There's no shame in sitting down, going to get water, or taking a breath of fresh air, unless the party doesn't allow reentry, then you should probably just step away from the chaos for a breath of less perfume/cologne flooded air.

Figure out when you are going to be sick of the party a bit before you are sick of it.

Basically, if you start feeling tired, go sit down. If this makes you more tired, text or call your parents or see if your ride is willing to leave. Trust me, it's better to leave early than to fall asleep or be all grumpy.
Although, I have broken this rule before because I was having a good time despite my tiredness. Still, make sure you don't wear yourself out too much, especially if you have things to do the next day.

Have a safe party policy with your parents.

A safe party policy is basically a system where you give your parents all the details about the party, (e.g. time, place, all boys, all girls, or mix of genders, whether or not it is chaperoned, etc.) and agree upon a code word or something that tells them you need to be picked up because the party has become unsafe. Also, some people have a no-questions-asked policy. This is where your parents come and get you from a party or other event, no questions asked. At least, not until you get back to your house. I know it seems kind of stupid, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Keep it P-G

If you are doing something that wouldn't be in a P-G movie (non-aggressive kissing excluded), chances are, it's not something you should be doing. Honestly, it's just common sense. No sex, no drugs, no alcohol, and you're good to go.

Have a good time!

Back to the point of it all. EVERYONE deserves to have fun, and parties can be a great place for this to happen. Just stay safe, stay classy, and don't be afraid to bust a move every once in a while. You never know how awesome things can be until you try them. 

Trust me, nerds can have fun too. I'm living, breathing proof.


I love Halloween! If you love Halloween as much as I do, take pictures of all your spooky/fun costumes, decorations, etc. and post them in the comments. Best pictures will be featured in my Halloween post.


1 comment: