Translate

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

101 Awesome Songs, Actually Decent Music...

Image Credit: Wikipedia
So, if any of you don't understand the reference in my title, the particular string of words is from a wonderful scene in The Perks Of Being a Wallflower. I've been really meaning to read the book since I enjoyed the movie so much, and since the book is almost always better. This is next to impossible right now since I have the challenges of five more finals in the six days that are left of school, learning how to play the bass guitar so I'm not the only person in my band who isn't multi-instrumental, and that little issue of finding a job (I've applied to seven places and three have gotten back to me, but I do have an interview, so that's a plus). Also, there are about twenty books ahead of it on my "to read" list.

In short, I'm kind of ridiculously busy, so for now I will just have to enjoy music and be satisfied with its form of stress relief.



22. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners. I first heard this song in a scene of the aforementioned movie, in which Sam and her stepbrother Patrick happily exclaim that they are playing actually decent music and go out into a very elaborate dance which they call "the living room routine". Personally, I wish I had a stepbrother that was cool enough to do that with me, because I love to dance even though I am really terrible at it.

To the point of dancing, the second time I encountered this song was when my dear friend, Sky, insisted that it show up on the playlist for a party that my friend, Jonathan, and I were disk jockeying for. As to the number of people that it got dancing, it came in as a close third, just behind Take on Me by Reel Big Fish, which was a close second to Footloose. Not that this party was a rager or anything. It was a bunch of ninth and tenth grade alumni to the middle school I previously attended, as well as the current classes of sixth, seventh, and eighth graders. In reality, those parties are almost always more for the alumni than they are for the students, because we miss it there, and, hell, there was a bouncy house, so I think that's better than any other high school party.

Anyways, this song Come On Eileen, it's kind of old school, but old school never really goes out of style. It came back as part of the vinyl craze and is still going strong because it's just a seriously danceable song. That is if you are actually looking to dance and not just get way up in other people's personal space with your butt, because, honey, that ain't dancing.

Not saying that what I do is really dancing either, but I have fun with it, and if you have fun with what you are doing and you aren't disrespecting people's wishes, then go right on ahead.

The great thing about this song is that it's all rise, and the tempo just keeps climbing until you are at the end and no one is really dancing anymore, you're all just standing there flailing with happiness. This song is that infectious. It gets up inside and just makes you want to keep going.

*side note* I ran my first seven minute mile listening to this song, so that's got to count for something.

So, really, it's a great song, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a decent movie, so if you haven't seen it yet, go check it out.

Image Credit: fabeetle
One of my favorite quotes from the movie.
That's all I've got for you today my lovelies. Until we meet again, valete!

No comments:

Post a Comment