Translate

Thursday, March 20, 2014

101 Awesome Songs, Adventures in AP Geography...

The Dropkick Murphys
Image Credit: Metro
Welcome, welcome my friends. It's been a long time since I've done a post on a specific song, and this one definitely deserves some time to shine.

The short backstory on this song is that my AP Geography teacher told us that if we had our phones out in class he would replace our music with Irish punk. The majority of the class was basically ecstatic at this, so then he threatened Hannah Montana music, and that really makes me cringe. He then proceeded to play songs like this for us, and I am rather excited to share its glory with you.
Disclaimer: This song is a million times better when blasted.


Going Out in Style by Dropkick Murphys on Grooveshark 8. Going Out in Style, by the Dropkick Murphys. Boston natives and total punk junkies decided to embrace their Irish roots, forming this Irish punk band. Surprisingly enough, bagpipes make this even more hardcore.

In all reality though, this song is pretty gruesome at some points. It's about partying hard and living life like you are going to die tomorrow.

Basically, the song goes, "so, what if I threw a party and all my friends were there? Acquaintances, relatives, and girls who never cared."

It then goes on to detail possibly the wildest party imaginable (or maybe its calm by Irish standards, I don't know), and then the aftermath...

"You may bury me with an enemy in mount cavalry. You can stack me on a pyre and soak me down with whiskey. Roast me to a blackened crisp and throw me in a pile. I couldn't really give a shit -- I'm going out in style!"

Really, though the lyrics are rather gruesome, I enjoy this song immensely. Maybe its the fact that it's the kind of song that you can totally head bang to, yet it's not all screaming (although I don't mind screaming every once in a while). I imagine this would be the kind of song that if heard live, or through really good speakers, would shake rib cages and cause absolute ecstasy, but I'm a bit biased, seeing as I love rib cage shaking music.

Anyways, enjoy the Irish punk that I have lain out before you, and if you have any interest, I am going to start compiling a bunch of my favorite recipes to fill up a food section for all of you to peruse, which means I'm going to be cooking a lot. So, school friends, you can expect to be seeing a sudden influx of cookies and stuff coming from me.

That's all for today. Valete!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what I just listened to, but I kind of love it?

    ReplyDelete