Translate

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A Dichotomy of my Fandoms and the Definition of Fanman...


I use this line WAY too often...
I'm a total Cumberbitch, by the way.
Image Credit: Awesome People


And Now For Something Entirely Random...

Fanman: (noun) A person of the male persuasion who practices the art of fangirling.
WARNING: YOU ARE NOW ENTERING FANDOM TERRITORY. YOU MUST NOT REMAIN CALM, OR YOU SHALL BE EJECTED FROM THIS POST.


For all my fellow fan whales out there, I would like to present my master list of fan names. Here goes:


Star Trek:

There are two kinds of Trek fans: Trekkies and Trekkers. 

Trekkers watch one of the shows or the new movies, and have a basic understanding of the Star Trek universe and the science behind it. At bare minimum, they know who Kirk and Spock are.

Then there are the Trekkies. We are the total nutters who have watched every episode of two or more of the tv series', own at least one kind of paraphernalia, and the most extreme fans known Klingon or one of the other languages. Personally, I'm still learning the languages, but one day I will inspire fear in the hearts of my enemies.

My personal paraphernalia:
My currently unopened Next Gen Pez dispenser set, including a dispenser with the Enterprise itself as the cap.

Starfleet Emblem Pendant from ThinkGeek. Need I say more.


My personal phaser, a companion through many late night Black Ops missions at space camps. Her name is Jessie.
And, yes, she does flip from stun to kill, but I prefer to keep her on stun.

Such tricorder. Very lens flare. Wow.

Doctor Who:

Like I said before, fans of Doctor Who are Whooligans, also known as Whovians. Sometimes we refer to ourselves by the number of our favorite Doctors (I'm either a four or a ten), and we often "ship" the different companions. Personally, I'm a Jack Harkness fan, or a Lady Jack (I just came up with that, but I think it's rather appropriate), or a Pond, or one of River's sweeties. It's just so hard to choose.

More personal paraphernalia:

Exterminate all the homework time! The watch is a RC for the Dalek, which provides an easy gateway to the land of procrastination.

My custom sonic screwdriver. I have successfully gotten it to make 11 different noises, but it sadly does not work on wood.
I also have a t-shirt that is in Gallifreyan, in the light, and it says "Hello Sweetie" in glow in the dark letters when the lights are cut off. 

Sherlock:

There are three main groups in this fandom, the Sherlockians, the Johnlocks, and the Holmies. 

Personally, I'm a Holmie. It's snappier to say than Sherlockian, and I personally only partially ship Sherlock and Watson, so I can say that I'm a true Johnlock.

I currently do not possess any Sherlock stuff, but I know a girl who has the wall where Sherlock shot a smiley face as a skirt.

Benedict Cumberbatch:

Yes, Englishman Sillyname has his own set of fan followers. Some are Cumbercookies, thus collectively making a Cumberbatch. Others are Benaddicts, and then there are my personal favorites, the Cumberbitches. That's what we really are. One look into those gorgeous eyes and you are his bitch forever, just like Scott Pilgrim is Wallace's bitch forever, except you aren't roommates with Mr Sexy Cheekbones.

And for your viewing pleasure, here are some pictures of the handsome devil himself:
Isn't he just majestic, like a unicorn or something.
Image credit: Hypable
I can just imagine him thinking, "Why is Bilbo Baggins in my flat?"
Image credit: Coventry Telegraph

Photo courtesy of Madi-chan



Merlin:

Fans of Merlin may not have an official fan name, but I think that they could be called warlocks and witches, or knights of the round table, or Merliners. If you have any suggestions for Merlin fan names, please comment.

UPDATE: Merlin fans are also known as Merlinians.

Pokémon:

Obviously, Pokémon fans are Trainers. I mean, what else would we be?

My Trainer's Gear:

Pikachu, I choose you!

Charizard card tin, currently only used for trainer cards.

My card binder.

My card team, plus some alternates. Even though I don't have legendaries, I can still kick ass.

I'm not just a master of the cards...
Pokéball...?

Or awesome Pokéball shaped food container (aka. Bento box/ball)!



Harry Potter:

Welcome to the land of the Potterheads.  I strongly dislike that fan name. Isn't there something more elegant (*cough* badass *cough*) that we can be called? I mean, why not call us Dumbledore's Army, or the Order (of the Phoenix)? Place your suggestions in the comments.

Potter paraphernelia? You better believe it:

Not my beanie, but I  do have this exact same beanie buried somewhere in my pile of hats.
Image credit: Costume Base

Yes, I got to go to Ollivanders when I went to Florida. It was awesome.

This is my wand. 14 and 1/4 inches, willow, phoenix feather core, reasonably pliant.


Star Wars:

STAR WARS, 
HOLY SHIT STAR WARS
HERE COMES MORE STAR WARS....

That is an excerpt of the lyrics from the Brock's Dub of Star Wars (his second video). It is a highly enjoyable video clip, but there is a lot of offensive language. It's like the Book of Mormon (the Broadway Show, not Joseph Smith's diary). It's offensive to everyone.

Anyways, Star Wars fans are Jedi Masters or Padowans depending on their level of dedication to the fandom. 

My one piece of Star Wars paraphernalia: 

While I'm not a fan of twincest, I do believe that Leia is pretty badass.

LOTR:

I personally love LOTR, the books and the movies, but I'm not exactly sure what our fandom name would be. I'm tempted to call us Hobbits but that isn't correct. Any ideas?

UPDATE: Officially, LOTR fans are called Ringers.


This is just my personal (and somewhat incomplete) list of fandoms, so please feel free to comment any fandoms that you believe should be included in this list, their fan names, and even some action shots of you with your paraphernalia if you wish. 

Thanks for reading. Valete!




2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I'm jealous of your massive collection of merchandise.
    For part 2, you should include Nerdfighters (Vlogbrothers), Otakus (anime), Hunters (Supernatural) and Panemmaniacs (Hunger Games).
    Also, LoTR fans are called Ringers, and Merlin fans are indeed called Merlinians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool post, hobbits are the coolest!

    ReplyDelete