Translate

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Behind the Silence...

Image Credit: Day of Silence
Tomorrow, I will be silent, but before then, I thought I should at least tell someone why.


Same Love by Macklemore on Grooveshark

For those of you who do not know, tomorrow is the Day of Silence. Students across the nation will shut their mouths in hopes of opening the hearts and minds of others. We will be silent to raise awareness for the discrimination against the LGBT community that continues to plague the hallways of our schools every single day. 

Personally, I am being silent for some friends of mine who cannot express who they are because their parents will not accept them for it. I am being silent for my friends who care about each other, and yet they cannot have physical contact with each other on school grounds because a hug between two girls out of compassion and caring for one another is not okay if it's not just platonic. It makes me sick that while I am allowed to hug anyone I want because I am in a heterosexual relationship, they can not even hold each others hands when one is trying to console the other over her struggles and hard times. 

It makes me sick that my school, a school that is supposed to be liberal, a school that is supposed to be a family, makes a special effort to deter homosexual PDA. If you're going to get so uppity about PDA, at least get uppity about all PDA and not just the PDA that you personally think is 'sinful'. I would rather not be allowed to hug my boyfriend at school because PDA of any kind was discouraged than be allowed to hug him while my friends who care about each other just as much cannot do the same because they are both female. After all, there is no freedom until we are all equal.

Tomorrow, I will be silent for my friends.

But I will also be silent for me. 

Personally, I am not straight. I find girls just as attractive as I find guys, and I am not ashamed of that because it is who I am. I did not choose to be swayed by both genders, just as much as you did not choose to like guys or girls or both as well. However, I have chosen to love people for who they are and not what body they were put into. I have chosen to love people not because they love someone of the same gender or the opposite gender, but because they deserve to be loved just like every other person that walks this Earth. It doesn't matter if you are gay, straight, bisexual, pansexual, transgender, gender fluid, asexual, male, or female. If you are a good, genuine, wonderfully human person, and you give me a chance, I will love you for who you are.

Today, I choose to love, and tomorrow I will be silent to defend that choice. If any of you agree with me, would like to join the silence, and attend my school, I have plenty of palm cards to spare so that you may be allowed silence. 

Thank you for your time my lovelies. Valete!

1 comment:

  1. This made me cry Bella... You are a wonderful person <3

    ReplyDelete