Translate

Friday, April 25, 2014

101 Awesome Songs, The Nineties Kind Of Rocked...

Image Credit: Rolling Stone
Well, happy (not-so-happy) sick day to me. Today I will be giving you another one of my wonderfully awesome songs. Are you ready?

Criminal by Fiona Apple on Grooveshark10. Criminal by Fiona Apple. Not only did I just get to sing this song for an audition yesterday, an audition that I'm pretty sure I rocked by the way (*self five*), I greatly admire Fiona as an artist because  she was the exact opposite of the paradigm when she made her claim to fame. An angsty artist like Sinead O'Connor or Alanis Morissette, Apple made her mark on the pop/rock music scene of the early 90s.

Personally, Fiona Apple is one of my favorite artists not only because of her vocal talent, but also because of her lack of fear at singing about topics that were normally very taboo, including rape in her song "Sullen Girl". Seriously, this chick is ballsy.

Anyways, this song "Criminal". This song is about a woman who has taken advantage of a devoted love, and is now trying to repent her wrong doings.

The chorus goes, "what I need is a good defense, because I'm feeling like criminal. I need to be redeemed to the one I've sinned against, because he's all I ever knew of a love." Basically, she's saying that she needs to apologize to the one guy who she feels truly loved her, but she didn't recognize that he did until she had already used him.

It may not be the sweetest thing for her to sing about, but, like I said, this chick is ballsy. After all, her lack of fear is what got her a place in Rolling Stone's Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll.

If you happen to find this appalling in any way, well, you know what they say...



Valete, my lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment